- A 1776 map of the St. George peninsula shows 6 homes on the mainland and 2 on islands
- A document dated 1788 lists 39 settlers to receive deeds from General Henry Knox. Six other settlers had other arrangements with early proprietors or Knox for land on St. George peninsula. It appears that a surge in settlers occurred after the Revolutionary War.
- Communities or villages tend to center around a church. The First Baptist Church of St. George was organized at Wiley’s Corner in 1789. In 1817, 60 people organized the Second Baptist Church of St. George, commonly known as the Ridge Church.
- Mill sites were common in the early days of St. George. As of 1820 there were – or had been – at least 7 mill sites in St. George: Watts mill, Pratt’s mill, Prince’s mill, Wheeler’s mill, Seavey’s mill, York’s mill, and one mill at Otis Point.
Villages or settlements in 1820:
- South St. George (now known as Port Clyde)
- Martinsville
- St. George
- The current village of Tenants Harbor did not come into being until the 1830s – the area was owned mostly by the Henderson family in 1820.
- A large section of the Spruce Head / Wheeler’s Bay area was settled by William Rackliff and Andrew Elwell, who had married the Gardner sisters originally from Gloucester, Mass.
- The upper part of town around what is now known as Wiley’s Corner was settled by the Kelloch, Robinson, Hall and Gilchrest families, whose roots were in the early Scotch-Irish settlers of the area.
- The middle section of town was mainly settled by more Scotch-Irish families – the Watts, Long, Fogerty and Rivers families.
- The Martinsville area has a lot of its roots in the Vickery and Martin families, some coming directly from the Marblehead, Massachusetts, area while others stopped in the Bristol, Maine area before coming here.
- The early names of Port Clyde include Wilson, Marshall, Maloney and Hupper. These families came from settlements from the west – Harpswell, Boothbay and New Hampshire.
Outline for March 14, 2020, Maine Bicentennial Birthday Program